Sunday, June 24, 2007
Markab (Marqab) Castle
The castle is found on 3 km from the coast of Mediterranean sea. The Arabic naming is equal to "Castle of the watchtower".
Marqab castle is founded in 1062 by the Arabs it was then seized by the Byzantines then someway passed into the hands of the principality of Antioch. It was then sold to the Hospitallers in 1186 and was reconstructed to the latest Frankish military standards of architecture and used by the crusaders until it fell into the hands of Sultan Qalaun in 1285.
The most important looks and features of this fortification are the keep and the church. The encircling keep is a massive tower of power, and at a diameter of about 29 meters and walls of 5 meters thick it is quite distinctive of 12th century Hospitallers job. From the top fabulous views of the mountains and the coast can be seen, let alone the pleasing to the eye view of the Mediterranean. The church, also built in the 12th century is a wonderful example of Gothic art, with touches of Romanesque.